Google search

Google
 

Monday, April 14, 2008

Extra innings

This is how to wear down your bullpen:
Cubs:
Monday: 12 innings. Win
Wednesday 15 innings. Win
Sunday: 10 innings. Win

Now, Jon Lieber has been invaluable to the bullpen, although I thought he should have been the #5 starter ahead of Jason (if I don't start, I don't want to be here) Marquis. He has the best attitude, and hell, he was the last 20 game winner for the Cubs!

Game notes: in Sunday's 10 inning win against Philly, I was surprised that Pinnella used Carlos Zambrano to pinch hit for Kerry Wood in the 10th inning. Although, his routine grounder was thrown by Chase Utley into the dugout letting the winning run score, it would have otherwise been a double play. The Cubs had no one left on their bench, having used everyone else but the relief pitchers and other starters. I would have left Kerry Wood in, even if you were going to bring in Howry in the 11th....Wood has some pop in his bat, and has a decent eye at the plate for a pitcher. This way, you could still use Zambrano in later innings as needed. Alas, I don't get paid millions to make that decision, at least they won!

No comments: